January 11, 2013
January 10, 2013
On one the one hand Owasi says that if the police is removed he can take care of the 100 crore majority. While in his own admission when the police was removed in Gujarat the result was a painful blow to his kind. There he complains that Mr.Modi should be prosecuted for not providing protection. Mr. Owaisi stop being a joker. You are giving cheap thrills and false sense of power to a frustrated lot. Instead try to do some constructive work for the people and improve their lives.
January 09, 2013
January 08, 2013
There have been two very serious incidents across the Line of Control (LOC) in Jammu and Kashmir.
· PAKISTANI STATEMENT: One Pakistani soldier was killed on January 6,2013, in an alleged Indian raid on a Pakistani Army post. On January 7, the Pakistani Foreign Office in Islamabad protested over the incident to the Indian Deputy High Commissioner. According to the Indian version of this incident, on January 6,Pakistani troops fired mortar shells at Indian Army posts in the Uri sector to help insurgents infiltrate into India.The Indian Army had retaliated.
· INDIAN STATEMENT: Two Indian soldiers were killed and two others injured on the morning of January 8, when Pakistani army troops entered Indian territory near Mendhar, about 220 KMs north of Jammu,and attacked an Indian post.The body of one of the Indian soldiers was found decapitated and the severed head was missing. The Pakistani Army has denied the allegations and described them as Indian propaganda to divert attention from the incident of Jan.6.
2.There was a similar incident of decapitation when Gen.Pervez Musharraf was the Chief of the Army Staf (COAS) under then Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif in 1999.Ilyas Kashmiri,a former member of the Special Services Group (SSG) of the Pakistan Army, and his men entered Indian territory, killed an Indian soldier, decapitated him and carried his head as a trophy to Pakistan.He allegedly presented the head to Musharraf who congratulated him and his men and rewarded them.The incident was reported in sections of the Pakistan-Occupied Kashmir media.
3.Musharraf's action in receiving Ilyas Kashmiri and rewarding him indicated the Pakistan Army's complicity in the incident. The Indian Army reportedly believes strongly that there was Pakistan Army's complicity in the latest incident too.
4.The two incidents indicate the continuing fragile and sensitive nature of the trans-LOC ground realities.The incidents appear to have been handled till now at the Army-Army level through the existing hotline between the Directors-General of Military Operations of the two countries.
5.The serious nature of the latest incidents underline the need for a political hotline between the Prime Minister of India and the President of Pakistan to supplement the existing hotline between the DGMOs to ensure prompt political handling of such trans-LOC incidents amenable to escalation detrimental to peace in the area. ( 9-1-13)
( The writer is AdditionalSecretary (retd), Cabinet Secretariat, Govt of India, New Delhi, and, presently, Director, Institute For Topical Studies, Chennai, and Associate of the Chennai Centre For China Studies. E-mail: email@example.com . Twitter: @SORBONNE75 )
January 07, 2013
Media reports emanating from Pakistan's civilian Government as well as from the General Headquarters (GHQ) of the Army speak of an on-going review of Pakistan's military doctrine in order to give priority to the creation of a sub-conventional warfare capability to fight domestically against non-State actors posing a threat to Pakistan's internal security.
2.While these non-State actors have not been specifically named, it is apparent they have in mind the Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP), the anti-Shia Lashkar-e-Jhangvi (LEJ) and the Baloch nationalist elements which are waging a struggle for Baloch independence.
3.The Pakistan Army has not been able to prevail over any of theseorganisations. The TTP has maintained a capability for fighting against the Pakistani security forces in the tribal as well as non-tribal areas and there have been indications of its extending its activities to Karachi, thereby adding to the instability there.
4.The LEJ continues to indulge in large-scale massacre of Shias all over Pakistan---- and particularly in Balochistan, Gilgit-Baltistan, the Kurram Agency and Karachi. The freedom struggle of the Baloch nationalists continues to gather momentum.
5.In the past, Pakistan's military doctrine had three components:
· A Chinese-aided nuclear-cum-missile capability against India.
· A US-cum-Chinese aided conventional capability against India.
· A covert action capability for keeping India bleeding and ultimately annexing Jammu & Kashmir. This covert action capability was acquired from the CIA in the 1980s for use against the Soviet troops in Afghanistan.It is now being used against India and the Hamid Karzai Government of Afghanistan
6.TheZulfiquar Ali Bhutto Government had succeeded in crushing the Baloch nationalists and the anti-Shia elements spearheaded by the Sipah-e-Sahaba Pakistan, which later metamorphosed into the LEJ, were actually created by the Zia-ul-Haq regime to counter the Iranian influence.
7. The revival of the Baloch freedom struggle after the massacre of Nawab Akbar Khan Bugti and many of his followers by the Pervez Musharraf regime and the birth of the Mehsud-dominated TTP to seek vengeance against the Pakistan Army after the bloody Army action in the Lal Masjid of Islamabad have confronted the Pakistan Army and its Inter-Services Intelligence with serious threats to its internal security to counter which it does not have the required sub-conventional warfare capability.
8.It is now proposed to pay greater attention to the creation of this capability. This should not be misread into thinking that the Pakistan Army's traditional mindset of hostility to India is under reexamination or that it may re-examine its continued use of its covert action capability against India through organisations loyal to the ISI such as the Lashkar-e-Tayyiba (LET) and against the Government of Hamid Karzai through organisations such as the AfghanTaliban or the Haqqani Network
9.The Pakistan Army is not about to give up its use of jihadi terrorism as a strategic weapon against India and its further strengthening of its nuclear and missile capability against India with Chinese assistance.We must avoid any naïve assessment of the reports from Pakistan on this subject. ( 6-1-13)
( The writer is Additional Secretary (retd), Cabinet Secretariat, Govt of India, New Delhi, and presently, Director, Institute For Topical Studies, Chennai, and Associate of the Chennai Centre For China Studies. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org .Twitter: @SORBONNE75 )